Automobiles didn’t have windshields at the beginning, back then drivers just wore goggles to avoid wind, rain, debris or insect get into their eyes. But this gadget wasn’t really effective to be used as a protection, especially from weather. Therefore automobile manufacturers started to put on a windshield on their products. At first, they created a windshield from plate glass, which was actually really dangerous since it will shatter into large, sharp pieces when broken.
As time goes by, automobiles become more and more evolved. As vehicles become faster and faster, safety also becomes a more and more important factor. Windshield glass is one of the most important safety elements is also evolving, it becomes way stronger than it was before. Not only able to withstand the wind and other particles you might come across on the road, but among other things it also prevents people from being thrown out of the car during an accident.
Auto Glass Treatment List
But there’s always something that can cause damages to auto glass, one of them is extreme weather condition like a freezing cold winter. Here are some helpful tips that you can use to make sure your windshield glass is in good condition in the winter:
– Don’t expose your vehicle to an extreme temperature for too long. During the winter, there will be times when the temperature is really low. At this point your auto glass will experience some extra stress that can reduce its strength.
– You will see a lot of vehicles with nasty scratches during the winter, that’s because the car owners don’t use the proper tools when they remove snow from their auto glass screwdrivers, chisels, and spatulas are some common tools people use to remove snow from their auto glass, which can cause bad scratches. There are actually a lot of proper scrapers made specifically for removing snow from auto glass that you can buy in local shops. These scrapers will not cause any scratches on your auto glass.
– When you notice that there is a crack or chip on your windshield, it’s better if you don’t use a defroster. Doing this will likely make the crack get bigger or turn the chip into a crack. The same goes to pouring hot water.
– A crack or chip on your auto glass and extreme temperature are not a good combination. So no matter how small the damage is, if it’s already winter time, you better get it fixed immediately
– If necessary, you should get your windshield glass replaced. When you see a damage beyond repair, take your car immediately to an auto glass shop to get auto glass replacement. Don’t let the damage left untreated for too long, because in extreme weather, this will not only damage your auto glass, but your car’s interior could also affected.
– Whenever you take your car to an auto glass shop, you will have the chance to consult with experts. The certified technicians in auto glass shops are experts in auto glass, so it would be great to get advice from them about how you can keep your auto glass in good condition during extreme temperature in the winter.